When I see stuff like this I feel ashamed for ever thinking Africa's use of mobile was any 'less' sophisticated than Europe or Asia.
I keep reminding myself of the rise of photo sharing in Brasil, the use of mobile sites like MOSH and Winksite in India, and the number of hits nokia.mobi gets from China.
Forget the ringtone-wallpaper part of the mobile services cycle. These folksk are leapfrogging right to browsing and more interactive internet-connected apps.
- The use of Opera Mini in Africa increased by 180 percent from January 2008 - September 2008
- Globally, Opera Mini was used by 19 million people in September 2008, a 341 percent increase from September 2007
- Opera Mini users accessed 4.5 billion pages in September 2008, a 420 percent increase from September 2007
- In September, Opera Mini’s 19 million users generated more than 65.2 million MB of data for operators worldwide
- Egypt is now the tenth largest user of Opera Mini in the world